Bus Services in Shropshire
Bus Service Consultation
Shropshire Council is planning to cut £405,000 from the local bus service budget. The consultation runs until 6 May 2019. A report will then be considered by Shropshire Council's cabinet on 22 May 2019.
The Green Party oppose these cuts.
- It will result in more car journeys and increased congestion.
- It will result in increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other transport pollutants.
- It will disproportionately affect those on low incomes who have no alternative means of transport.
- It will increase isolation of rural communities.
Quotes from our Councillors
Olly Rose (Oswestry): "We are creating a Catch-22 situation where cutting bus routes (Shropshire comes out the third worst hit area in the country according to reports) makes bus travel less convenient and so encourages car use increasing pollution and carbon emissions. In my work I meet many elderly people who are now, through less bus availability, struggling to access their communities to shop or even attend doctors. Some continue to drive when they would rather not as they are otherwise stranded somewhere all day due to bus in frequency. Social isolation is already a problem and this will make it worse. It is right that we subsidise journeys so that those who are unable to or choose not to, can stay part of our communities."
Julian Dean (Shrewsbury): "Public transport cuts divide communities and even households, between those who can get around in cars and those who can hardly get around. Meanwhile the cars are clogging up our streets and damaging our world. These proposed cuts should be withdrawn."
In The News
- Website launched in campaign for reliable bus services in rural Shropshire Shropshire Star, 21 Sep 2019
- Shropshire Council in U-turn on bus cuts plan Shropshire Star, 4 Jun 2019
- Planned changes to bus services to be reconsidered by Cabinet Shropshire Council, 4 Jun 2019
- Call ahead of park and ride protest march in Shrewsbury Shropshire Star, 26 Apr 2019
- Demonstration planned over Shropshire bus service cuts Shropshire Star, 5 Apr 2019
- Shropshire bus service cuts 'will hit most vulnerable' Shropshire Star, 2 Apr 2019
- Oswestry and Ellesmere politicians voice bus cut views Whitchurch Herald
- Shropshire Council 'must look ahead for transport in Oswestry' Border Counties Advertizer
- £450,000 cuts could see Shropshire bus services slashed Shropshire Star, 27 Mar 2019
- 'Lifeline' bus services in Shropshire are under threat BBC News, 26 Mar 2019
- Just the ticket! Rural Shropshire bus route attracting more passengers Shropshire Star, 1 Feb 2019
Please note that these groups are not affiliated with the Green Party in any way.